The Division of Preventive Oncology is seeking to fill a
- Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the most common cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death among men and women in Germany. Disease risk and outcome are to a large proportion modifiable through life style factors (e.g. obesity, diet, physical activity, or NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) use). However, there is also a genetic component to the disease and inter-individual differences in disease outcome of CRC patients may to some extend originate from (epi)ge-netic and genomic variation.
- The main focus of this research project is the practical application and develop-ment of tailored statistical methods for the evaluation of (epi)genetic data from association and expression studies.
- It is based on IMPACT, a long-term, population-based cohort study that aims to assess determinants of long-term outcomes (e.g. therapy response, survival) and quality of life (e.g. co-morbidities) in patients with colorectal cancer (CRC).
- The project is led by Prof. Hermann Brenner (Preventive Oncology, DKFZ) in colla-boration with Prof. Justo Lorenzo Bermejo and Dr. Dominique Scherer (Statistical Genetics Group, Institute of Medical Biometry and Informatics, Heidelberg Uni-versity).
- The successful candidate will have the possibility to work at the interface of ge-netics and biostatistics and will gain substantial experience in both the practical analysis of genetic data and the development of novel statistical techniques.
- For general information on the department see http://www.dkfz.de/en/praeventive-onkologie/.
- Applications should include a CV, grade certificates with marks and name of 2-3 referees.
- We are looking for a highly motivated, well qualified student with a diploma in biology, biostatistics or equivalent degree; ideally with practical experience in SAS and/or R. A background in molecular biology and genetics and knowledge of biostatistics and bioinformatics is desirable. The candidate should have good analytical and communication skills, and be interested in working in an interdis-ciplinary team at the forefront of cancer research and biostatistics.
Duration: The position is limited to 3 years.
Contact: Dr. Dominique Scherer, phone +49 6221 56-7302.
Application Deadline: May 12, 2017
Letzte Änderung: 19.04.2017