Junior Research Group Leader Ben Schöttker, PhD
Ben Schöttker, PhD
Division of Clinical Epidemiology and Ageing Research, German Cancer Research Center
Im Neuenheimer Feld 581
Phone: +49 (0)6221 42 1355
2. Affiliation: Network Aging Research (NAR)
Junior Research Group “Drug safety in older adults / Oxidative stress and ageing”
The junior research group is addressing two different topics:
1. Drug safety in older adults
Polypharmacy (simultaneous prescription of 5 or more drugs), potentially inappropriate medication for older adults, potentially serious drug interactions, inappropriately dosed drugs, non-adherence and medication handling deficits are common medication problems in older adults. It is the aim of the research group to assess the relevance of the named medication problems for patient-oriented health outcomes like symptoms that often reflect adverse drug reactions, falls with subsequent fractures, cardiovascular events, hospitalization, cognitive impairment, nursing home admission, multimorbidity, frailty and premature death.
2. Oxidative stress and ageing
The Free Radical/Oxidative Stress theory of ageing puts an increased production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the centre of processes that promote cell aging. ROS are a natural by-product of mitochondrial energy synthesis. Oxidative stress occurs when the natural production of ROS cannot be balanced by anti-oxidative capacities of tissues. This primarily leads to mitochondrial DNA damage and dysfunction and a higher apoptosis rate of cells.
In the past, a major problem for large studies in humans in this research area was that ROS cannot be measured in plasma or serum samples because they have a very short half-life. However, biomarker kits for indirect measures of the oxidative status of blood are being developed. It is of interest in this research group, whether these indirect biomarkers of oxidative stress are associated with mortality and age-related diseases. Several chronic diseases, including type 2 diabetes mellitus, coronary heart disease, cancer and dementia have been proposed to be in part caused by ROS damage but there is little evidence from prospective cohort studies in humans so far. Furthermore, the research group is interested in discovering epigenetic mechanisms of regulation of oxidative stress pathways to age-related diseases.
|01/2016-01/2022||Junior research group leader for the topic “Oxidative stress”, Network Ageing Research (NAR), Heidelberg University|
|since 10/2009||Scientist, Division of Clinical Epidemiology and Ageing Research, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg|
|2012-2015||Qualification as a university lecturer (Habilitation), Heidelberg University, subjects: Public health and epidemiology|
|04/2008-11/2010||PhD. (Dr. rer. hum. biol.), Division of Health Technology Assessment and Evidence-based Medicine, Institute of Social Medicine, University of Lübeck|
|09/2015-08/2017||MSc Pharmacovigilance and Pharmacoepidemiology, Eu2P Consortium of the Universities of Bordeaux, Hertfortshire, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Barcelona und Verona.|
|10/2006-03/2009||MPH (Magister Public Health), TU Dresden|
|04/2002-06/2007||License to practice pharmacy (Approbation), Philipps-University of Marburg|
Selected publications with first or last authorship
- Schöttker B, Larsen EL, Weimann A, Henriksen T, Brenner H, Poulsen HE. Associations of urinary metabolites of oxidized DNA and RNA with the incidence of diabetes mellitus: Differences and similarities using UPLC-MS/MS and ELISA methods. 2022; [Submitted].
- Trares K, Bhardwaj M, Perna L, Stocker H, Petrera A, Hauck SM, Beyreuther K, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Association of the inflammation-related proteome with dementia development at older age: results from a large, prospective, population-based cohort study. 2022; [Submitted]; Pre-print: medRxiv, 2021.2006.2015.21258913, doi: 10.1101/2021.06.15.21258913.
- Trares K, Wiesenfarth M, Stocker H, Perna L, Beyreuther K, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Improved risk prediction of all-cause dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and vascular dementia by inflammation-related proteins. 2022; [Submitted].
- Chen, L. J., Nguyen, T. N. M., Chang-Claude, J., Hoffmeister, M., Brenner, H. and Schöttker, B. Comparison and combination of functional status, comorbidity, frailty, polypharmacy, and a co-medication quality score in the prediction of colorectal cancer survival; 2022; [Submitted].
- Nguyen, T. N. M., Chen, L. J., Trares, K., Stocker, H., Holleczek, B., Beyreuther, K., Brenner, H., & Schöttker, B. Longitudinal associations of low-dose acetylsalicylic acid use with all-cause and vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in the general population. 2022; [Submitted]; Pre-print: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.09.20.21263830v1
- Nguyen, T. N. M., Chen, L. J., Holleczek, B., Brenner, H., & Schöttker, B. Low-dose acetylsalicylic acid use is associated with increased risk of gastric and duodenal ulcers: Results from two large cohorts with new-user design. 2022; [Submitted].
- Salem AA, Trares K, Kohl M, Jansen E, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Long-term effects of smoking on serum concentrations of oxidative stress biomarkers: Results of a large, population-based cohort study. Environ Res. 2022;204(Pt A):111923.
- Trares K, Chen LJ, Schöttker B. Association of F(2)-isoprostane levels with Alzheimer's disease in observational studies: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Ageing Res Rev. 2022;74:101552.
- Chen LJ, Trares K, Laetsch DC, Nguyen TNM, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis on the Associations of Polypharmacy and Potentially Inappropriate Medication With Adverse Outcomes in Older Cancer Patients. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021;76(6):1044-52.
- Nguyen TNM, Laetsch DC, Chen LJ, Holleczek B, Meid AD, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Comparison of Five Lists to Identify Potentially Inappropriate Use of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs in Older Adults. Pain Med. 2021;22(9):1962-9.
- Brenner H, Kuznia S, Laetsch C, Niedermaier T, Schöttker B. Prevention of Advanced Cancer by Vitamin D(3) Supplementation: Interaction by Body Mass Index Revisited. Nutrients. 2021;13(5).
- Chen LJ, Nguyen TNM, Laetsch DC, Chang-Claude J, Hoffmeister M, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Association of co-medication quality with chemotherapy-related adverse drug reactions and survival in older colorectal cancer patients. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021 [epub ahead of print].
- Schöttker B, Gào X, Jansen EH, Brenner H. Associations of Human Colorectal Adenoma with Serum Biomarkers of Body Iron Stores, Inflammation and Antioxidant Protein Thiols. Antioxidants (Basel). 2021;10(8).
- Chen LJ, Nguyen TNM, Chang-Claude J, Hoffmeister M, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Association of Polypharmacy with Colorectal Cancer Survival Among Older Patients. Oncologist. 2021;26(12):e2170-e80.
- Safizadeh F, Nguyen TNM, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Association of renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system inhibition with Covid-19 hospitalization and all-cause mortality in the UK biobank. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2021 [epub ahead of print].
- Schöttker B, Salem AA, Schwenk M, Gao X, Jansen EHJM, Brenner H. Relationship of physical activity at older age with biomarkers of oxidative stress: a large, population-based cohort study. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2021;53(12):2528-35.
- Nguyen TNM, Laetsch DC, Chen LJ, Holleczek B, Meid AD, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Comparison of Five Lists to Identify Potentially Inappropriate Use of Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs in Older Adults. Pain Med. 2021;22(9):1962-9.
- Schöttker B, Kuznia S, Brenner H. Efficacy of Vitamin D3 supplementation on cancer mortality in the general population and the prognosis of cancer patients: Protocol of a systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMJ Open. 2021;11(1):e041607.
- Trares K, Gào X, Perna L, Rujescu D, Stocker H, Möllers T, Beyreuther K, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Associations of urinary 8-iso-prostaglandin F(2α) levels with all-cause dementia, Alzheimer's disease, and vascular dementia incidence: results from a prospective cohort study. Alzheimers Dement. 2020;16(5):804-13.
- Schöttker B, Kuznia S, Laetsch DC, Czock D, Kopp-Schneider A, Caspari R, et al. Protocol of the VICTORIA study: personalized vitamin D supplementation for reducing or preventing fatigue and enhancing quality of life of patients with colorectal tumor - randomized intervention trial. BMC Cancer. 2020;20(1):739.
- Nguyen TNM, Laetsch DC, Chen LJ, Haefeli WE, Meid AD, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Pain severity and analgesics use in the community-dwelling older population: a drug utilization study from Germany. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2020;76(12):1695-1707.
- Brenner H, Holleczek B, Schöttker B. Vitamin D insufficiency and deficiency and mortality from respiratory diseases in a cohort of older adults: potential for limiting the death toll during and beyond the COVID-19 pandemic? Nutrients. 2020;12(8):2288.
- Anusruti A, Xuan Y, Gào X, Jansen EHJM, Laetsch DC, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Factors associated with high oxidative stress in patients with type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of two cohort studies. BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2020;8(1).
- Anusruti A, Jansen EHJM, Gào X, Xuan X, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Longitudinal associations of body mass index, waist circumference and waist to hip ratio with biomarkers of oxidative stress in older adults: Results of a large cohort study. Obesity Facts. 2020;13(1):66-76.
- Schöttker B, Xuan Y, Gào X, Anusruti A, Brenner H. Oxidatively damaged DNA/RNA and 8-isoprostane levels are associated with the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus at older age: Results from a large cohort study. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(1):130-136.
- Gào X, Wilsgaard T, Jansen EHJM, Xuan Y, Anusruti A, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Serum total thiol levels and the risk of lung, colorectal, breast and prostate cancer: A prospective case-cohort study. Int J Cancer 2020;146(5):1261-1267.
- Niersmann C, Carstensen-Kirberg M, Maalmi H, Holleczek B, Roden M, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Higher circulating omentin is associated with increased risk of primary cardiovascular events in individuals with diabetes. Diabetologia 2020;63(2):410-8.
- Schöttker B, Hagen L, Zhang Y, Gào X, Holleczek B, Gao X, Brenner H. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels as an aging marker. Strong associations with age and all-cause mortality independent from telomere length, epigenetic age acceleration and 8-isoprostane levels. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2019;74(1):121-128.
- Gào X, Zhang Y, Burwinkel B, Xuan Y, Holleczek B, Brenner H, Schöttker B. The associations of DNA methylation alterations in oxidative stress related genes with cancer incidence and mortality outcomes: A population-based cohort study. Clin Epigenetics 2019;11(1):14.
- Gào X, Xuan Y, Benner A, Anusruti A, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Nitric oxide metabolites and lung cancer incidence: A matched case-control study nested in the ESTHER cohort. Ox Med Cell Longev. 2019;2019:6470950.
- Gào X, Wilsgaard T, Jansen EH, Holleczek B, Zhang Y, Xuan Y, Anusruti A, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Pre-diagnostic derivatives of reactive oxygen metabolites and the occurrence of lung, colorectal, breast and prostate cancer: An individual participant data meta-analysis of two large population-based studies. Int J Cancer 2019;145(1):49-57.
- Xuan Y, Gào X, Anusruti A, Holleczek B, Jansen HJM, Muhlack DC, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Association of serum markers of oxidative stress with incident major cardiovascular events, cancer incidence and all-cause mortality in type 2 diabetes patients: Pooled results from two cohort studies. Diabetes Care 2019;42(8):1436-1445.
- Xuan Y, Bobak M, Anusruti A, Jansen EHJM, Pająk A, Tamosiunas A, Saum KU, Holleczek B, Gao X, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Association of serum markers of oxidative stress with myocardial infarction and stroke: Pooled results from four large European cohort studies. Eur J Epidemiol 2019;34(5):471-481.
- Gào X, Holleczek B, Cuk K, Zhang Y, Anusruti A, Xang Y, Xu Y, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Investigation on potential associations of oxidatively generated DNA/RNA damage with lung, colorectal, breast, prostate and total cancer incidence. Sci Rep 2019;9(1):7109.
- Muhlack DC, Hoppe LK, Saum KU, Haefeli WE, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Investigation of the association of potentially inappropriate medication and frailty in a prospective cohort study. Age Ageing 2019;49(1):20-5.
- Hoppe LK, Muhlack DC, Koenig W, Brenner H, Schöttker B. The associations of diuretics and laxatives use with cardiovascular mortality. An individual patient-data meta-analysis of two large cohort studies. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2019;33(5):567-79.
- Schöttker B, Muhlack DC, Hoppe LK, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Updated analysis on polypharmacy and mortality from the ESTHER study. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2018;74(7):981-2.
- Gào X, Brenner H, Holleczek B, Cuk K, Zhang Y, Anusruti A, Xuan Y, Xu Y, Schöttker B. Urinary 8-isoprostane levels and occurrence of lung, colorectal, prostate, breast and overall cancer: Results from a large, population-based cohort study with 14 years of follow-up. Free Radic Biol Med. 2018;123:20-26.
- Xuan Y, Gào X, Holleczek B, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Prediction of myocardial infarction, stroke and cardiovascular mortality with urinary biomarkers of oxidative stress: Results from a large cohort study. Int J Cardiol 2018;273:223-229.
- Hoppe LK, Muhlack DC, Koenig W, Carr PR, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Association of abnormal serum potassium levels with arrhythmias and cardiovascular mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2018;32(2):197-212.
- Muhlack C, Hoppe L, Stock C, Haefeli WE, Brenner H, Schöttker B. The associations of geriatric syndromes and other patient characteristics with the current and future use of potentially inappropriate medications in a large cohort study. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2018;74(12):1633-1644.
- Schöttker B, Saum KU, Muhlack DC, Hoppe LK, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Polypharmacy and mortality: New insights from a large cohort of older adults by detection of effect modification by multi-morbidity and comprehensive correction of confounding by indication. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2017;73(8):1041-1048.
- Steele CJ*, Schöttker B*, Marshall AH, Kouvonen A, O'Doherty MG, Mons U, et al. Education achievement and type 2 diabetes-what mediates the relationship in older adults? Data from the ESTHER study: a population-based cohort study. BMJ Open. 2017;7(4):e013569. * Shared first authorship
- Muhlack DC, Hoppe LK, Weberpals J, Brenner H, Schöttker B. Association of potentially inappropriate medication at older age with cardiovascular events and overall mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017;18(3):211-220.
- Gao X, Schöttker B. Reduction-oxidation pathways involved in cancer development: a systematic review of literature reviews. Oncotarget. 2017; 8:51888-51906.
- Brenner H, Jansen L, Saum KU, Holleczek B, Schöttker B. Vitamin D supplementation trials aimed at reducing mortality have much higher power when focusing on people with low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations. J Nutr. 2017;147(7):1325-1333.
- Schöttker B, Rathmann W, Herder C, Thorand B, Wilsgaard T, Njølstad I, et al. HbA1c levels in non-diabetic older adults - No J-shaped associations with primary cardiovascular events, cardiovascular and all-cause mortality after adjustment for confounders in a meta-analysis of individual participant data from six cohort studies. BMC Medicine 2016; 14(1):26.
- Chen XZ*, Schöttker B*, Castro FA, Chen H, Zhang Y, Holleczek B, et al. Association of Helicobacter pylori infection and chronic atrophic gastritis with risk of colonic, pancreatic and gastric cancer: A ten-year follow-up of the ESTHER cohort study. Oncotarget 2016;7(13):17182-93. * Shared first authorship
- Schöttker B, Saum KU, Jansen EHJM, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Associations of metabolic, inflammatory and oxidative stress markers with total morbidity and multi-morbidity in a large cohort of older German adults. Age Ageing 2016; 45(1):127-35.
- Schöttker B, Brenner H, Jansen EHJM, et al. Evidence for the Free Radical/Oxidative Stress Theory of Ageing from the CHANCES consortium: A meta-analysis of individual participant data. BMC Medicine 2015; 13:300.
- Schöttker B, Saum KU, Jansen EHJM, Boffetta P, Trichopoulou A, Hollezek B, Dieffenbach AK, Brenner H. Oxidative stress markers and all-cause mortality. A large population-based cohort study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2015; 70(4):518-524.
- Schöttker B, Zhang Y, Heiss JA, Butterbach K, Jansen EHJM, Bewerunge-Hudler M, Saum KU, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Discovery of a novel epigenetic cancer marker related to the oxidative status of human blood. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2015; 54(9):583-94.
- Schöttker B, Brenner H. Vitamin D as a resilience factor, helpful for survival of potentially fatal conditions. A hypothesis emerging from recent findings of the ESTHER cohort study and the CHANCES consortium. Nutrients 2015, 7:3264-78; doi:10.3390/nu7053264
- Schöttker B, Jorde R, Peasey A, Thorand B, Jansen EHJM, de Groot L, et al. Vitamin D and mortality: Meta-analysis of individual participant data from a large consortium of cohort studies from Europe and the United States. BMJ 2014; 348:g3656.
- Schöttker B, Saum KU, Perna L, Ordóñez-Mena JM, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Is vitamin D deficiency a cause of increased morbidity and mortality at older age or simply an indicator of poor health? Eur J Epidemiol 2014; 29(3):199-210.
- Schöttker B*, Herder C*, Rothenbacher D, Roden M, Kolb H, Müller H, Brenner H. Proinflammatory cytokines, adiponectin and increased risk of primary cardiovascular events in diabetes patients with or without renal dysfunction: results from the ESTHER study. Diabetes Care 2013; 36(6):1703-11. * Shared first authorship
- Schöttker B, Haug U, Schomburg L, Köhrle J, Perna L, Müller H, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Strong associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels with all-cause, cardiovascular, cancer and respiratory disease mortality in a large cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr 2013;97(4):782-793.
- Schöttker B, Müller H, Rothenbacher D, Brenner H. Fasting plasma glucose and haemoglobin A1c in cardiovascular risk prediction - a sex specific comparison in individuals without diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 2013;56(1):92-100.
- Perna L*, Schöttker B*, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and incidence of fatal and nonfatal cardiovascular events: a prospective study with repeated measurements. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98(12):4908-15. * Shared first authorship
- Schöttker B, Herder C, Rothenbacher D, Perna L, Müller H, Brenner H. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and incident diabetes mellitus type 2. A competing risk analysis in a large population-based cohort of older adults. Eur J Epidemiol 2013; 28(3):267-75.
- Schöttker B*, Ball D*, Gellert C, Brenner H. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and overall mortality. A systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Ageing Res Rev 2013; 12(2):708-18. * Shared first authorship
- Ordóñez-Mena JM*, Schöttker B*, Haug U, Müller H, Köhrle J, Schomburg L, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and cancer risk in older adults. Results from a large German prospective cohort study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2013; 22(5):905-16. * Shared first authorship
- Schöttker B, Brenner H, Koenig W, Müller H, Rothenbacher D. Prognostic association of HbA1c and fasting plasma glucose with reduced kidney function in subjects with and without diabetes mellitus. Results from a population-based cohort study from Germany. Prev Med 2013; 57(5):596-600.
- Schöttker B, Herder C, Müller H, Brenner H, Rothenbacher D. Clinical utility of creatinine and cystatin C based definition of renal function for risk prediction of primary cardiovascular events in patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care 2012;35(4):879-86.
- Schöttker B*, Adamu MA*, Weck MN, Brenner H. Helicobacter pylori infection is strongly associated with gastric and duodenal ulcers in a large prospective study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012;10(5):487-93. * Shared first authorship
- Schöttker B, Jansen EHJM, Haug U, Schomburg L, Köhrle J, Brenner H. Standardization of misleading immunoassay based 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels with liquid chromatography tandem-mass spectrometry in a large cohort study. PLoS ONE 2012;7(11): e48774. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0048774.
- Schöttker B*, Adamu MA*, Weck MN, Müller H, Brenner H. Helicobacter pylori infection, chronic atrophic gastritis and major cardiovascular events: a population-based cohort study. Atherosclerosis 2012; 220(2):569-74. * Shared first authorship
- Schöttker B, Raum E, Rothenbacher D, Müller H, Brenner H. Prognostic value of haemoglobin A1c and fasting plasma glucose for incident diabetes and implications for screening. Eur J Epidemiol 2011;26(10):779-87.